Usernames and passwords can be created via either of the two methods described below: during the upload process of the portal data sheet, or individually via Constituent Manager.
To create usernames and passwords after upload:
- Go into each constituent account by clicking on their names in Constituent Manager
- Click on the Account tab
- Click the Create Portal Login link
- If you included an email address with the new Account information, the username of the email address will automatically become the username for the Constituent's portal login (for instance, a user with the email address "email@example.com" will automatically receive the username "jsmith" in their constituent account).
If you did not include an email address, the portal login username will be the Constituent's last name, followed by their first initial (in the above example, the username would be "smithj".)
- Assign a password to the user. You will need to enter the password exactly the same way in both fields.
- Users can change their passwords after logging in for the first time. You can force all users to change their password when they first login - submit a ticket to Finalsite Support to request that this feature be activated.
To create usernames and passwords before uploading constituents:
Creating usernames and passwords prior to uploading the data is a highly efficient approach, particularly for large numbers of constituents. Simply fill in the "username" and "password" fields in the appropriate columns of the portal data sheet (Excel sheet). Determining what to put in those fields is probably more difficult than actually doing it. It is recommended to use various combinations of existing data as initial passwords, for example a combination of the first name, middle initial, last name, and 2 digit class year of each alum. If middle names are available, you might consider generating a unique username by appending the middle name to the first name or first initial, as first name and middle name may "outlast" last names, which can change through marriage, divorce, etc. For more information on creating usernames, see Best Practices for assigning usernames and passwords.
Passwords can be any string of characters, with a length of up to 50 characters. Initial passwords can be identical to the username, other combinations of first, middle and last names or initials, random numbers, etc. A search on Google for "password generator" or "random password generator" will yield a number of websites where original random passwords can be generated and copied, some for free (such as http://www.randpass.com/).
When in doubt feel free to create a support ticket, or consult your assigned Project Manager.
Best Practices for Creating Usernames and Passwords
Give users a login username which uses some combination of their first and last name. Class year can also be used if there might be multiple users with the same first and last names.
Some sample username schemes include:
- [first name].[last name]
- [first initial].[last name]
- [first name].[last name]_[class year]
If students or faculty already have usernames for other internal systems (email, etc), it makes sense to use the same login credentials for Finalsite as well.
Passwords can be a Constituent ID, or a random string (which would be more secure). It is possible to force users to update their default password the first time they log in to Finalsite, as shown above. Passwords must be a string of alphanumeric characters (up to 50 characters are allowed).