It is possible to moderate blog comments so that the blog administrator can preview them before they're posted live to the blog page. The control for this feature is found in Page Manager, in the "Blog Properties" section. To turn moderation on for a blog, or to create a new moderated blog:
- Log in to the site as an administrator.
- If the blog already exists, navigate to that page on your site and click over to Page Manager. If the blog doesn't exist already, you can setup the moderation function as you create it in finalsite.
- From within Page Manager, the blog is essentially a regular page that's set to the "Blog" page type. After the page is created and saved for the first time, the "Blog Properties" section will appear in Page Manager, below the General Page Info:
- Make sure that the box labeled "Enable comments for this blog" is checked. That will bring up three sub-choices related to blog comments.
- Make sure that the "Email moderator…" and "Moderate Comments" checkboxes are selected. This will ensure that any new comments posted to the blog will not go live until the moderator has reviewed them and signed off.
- Save & publish the page.
Going forward, any time a user comments on the blog, the moderator will receive an email with the text of the comment; that email will also contain a link to login and approve the comment. Upon logging in to approve comments, the moderator will also have the option to Edit or Delete them.
The "Moderator Email" field will automatically populate with the email address of the administrator who originally created the blog page. That field can be replaced with another email address if the admin prefers, or with multiple email addresses separated by a comma. If you'd prefer not to use the email feature and just approve comments from the blog page itself, you can do that too. Approve/Edit/Delete moderation options will appear next to new comments when the moderator logs in to the site and views the blog page. The email alerts can be turned off by unchecking the "Email moderator…" checkbox in Page Manager.
After you make the above changes and publish the blog page, visitors to the blog will see this when they leave a comment:
A note will appear above the comment field, alerting the commenter that their contribution will be reviewed before it's posted live.
Watch the Working with Blogs Demo Video for more in-depth instructions in creating and managing blogs on your site.