In this Article
- Step 1: Login to your Google Calendar
- Step 2: Set calendar to be available to public
- Step 3: Integrate calendar to connect to Finalsite
- Step 4: Paste to connect the calendar in Calendar Manager
- Step 5: Allow time for iCal sync to complete
Connecting a Google Calendar to Calendar Manager is a fast and efficient way to update events dynamically for your community. This way you can:
- flow events into your CMS to be displayed on any Composer page.
- insert events dynamically into the Messages module.
- push events to Mobile Apps.
Integrate vs upload
An integration initiates a one-way dynamic sync to flow events in from another calendar source to continually appear and update in Calendar Manager and anywhere you have linked that calendar using a Calendar Element. However if you are interested in single bulk upload of events, check out our article, "Add calendar events in bulk."
This article shows you how to integrate a Google Calendar so that it will dynamically push events into multiple areas of your platform.
Step 1: Login to your Google Calendar
Once you've arrived, find the list of calendars on the left. Click the vertical three dots next to the one you want to configure, and select Settings & Sharing.
Step 2: Set calendar to be available to public
Set your calendar to be available to the public by scrolling down to the Access permissions for events section of the settings area and clicking the box next to Make available to public. Select See all event details to ensure that event details are visible to those viewing your calendar.
Step 3: Integrate calendar to connect to Finalsite
On the same Calendar settings screen, scroll down to the Integrate calendar section. There is a Public address in iCal format box, which lets you share the calendar with other users.
It's important to choose the correct link, the one ending in .ics. This is the only link that will create a dynamic connection between the two calendars.
- Find the gray box titled Public address in iCal format.
- Copy the URL ending in .ics.
Step 4: Paste to connect the calendar in Calendar Manager
1. Next, open up Calendar Manager in Finalsite. Click the New Calendar button on the Dashboard.
2. Set Calendar Type to Live iCal, and paste the copied URL into the Live URL field before clicking the Create button at the bottom of the window.
Now, events from Google will automatically populate the calendar. As new events are added to the Google Calendar, they'll be pulled into the Finalsite calendar, as well.
The fields that are synced between Google and Finalsite are:
Start Date / Start Time
End date / End time
Step 5: Allow time for iCal sync to complete
iCal refresh rates are based on the file size of the iCal feed coming over (in other words, how many events have been created on that calendar). This is explained in the article Using iCal feeds to synchronize multiple calendar systems.
The sync rates are:
For a calendar 0 - 500 kilobytes: hourly
For a calendar 500 kilobytes - 1.5 megabytes: nightly