Search Rules allow site admins to display custom content and/or selected pages at the top of a list of search results when an end user enters a given term. For example, a Search Rule could be used to ensure that, when a visitor uses the search term “Reunion,” the Alumni home page appears at the top of the list of results.
Search Rules are an >Advanced Search Tool and can be activated as an additional contract item (speak to your Client Success Manager if you don’t already have Advanced Search features).
To access Search Rules, navigate to the “Search Tools” section in the Composer left navigation, and select “Search Rules.”
To create a new rule, click the green “+ Add Rule” button. A series of fields will appear where you can create the rule:
Rules are created as “If > Then” expressions, where the user’s input determines whether and how a particular search rule will be activated.
- Give the rule a description. This should indicate what sort of situation the rule is intended to cover.
- Use the dropdown to select how the user’s search term should be handled. You can set the rule to apply in various ways:
- Contains: This search rule will apply if the specified term appears in any way in the user’s input.
- Starts with: The search rule will only apply if the specified term is the very first thing the user inputs.
- Ends with: The search rule will only apply if the specified term is the very last thing the user inputs.
- Is: The search rule will only apply if the specified term is the only thing the user inputs.
Use the “+ Add Result” button to add another page/pages to the list of promoted returns.